We want you to be informed and comfortable about your decision. Read some common questions new patients ask.
1. What is Chiropractic? A form of healing care that focuses on how each part of the body is highly connected. Primarily how the central nerve system and the spine are connected. This central nerve system then relates to the entire body. The health and mobility of the spine is essential to overall wellness and balance because everything connects back to this core part of our body.
2. What do Chiropractors do? Chiropractors use their hands and other low force gentle tools to perform chiropractic adjustments to joints in the spine, TMJ, ribs, arms and legs. To help realign the spine with the central nerve system. To relieve pain, create comfort and preserve overall health.
3. What is an adjustment? Chiropractic adjustments realign the spine and all joints in the body including the ribs, TMJ, arms and legs and feet. We at Eden Valley Chiropractic use Diversified and Gonstead manual adjusting and low force instruments, SOT blocks and drop pieces to realign the spine, pelvis and all other joints as specified above.
4. Does Chiropractic hurt? No! This is a long-held misunderstanding. On the contrary, it should feel very comfortable because the adjustment is put into the direction the joint needs to go. Most likely you will notice how “right” it feels upon adjustment.
Sometimes an audible “pop” or “click” is heard upon realignment, but not always. This is completely normal and is simply due to a release of gasses at the joint due to the release of the joint fixation. It is not due to any bones grinding or “cracking.” Chiropractors adjust joints to realign the skeletal structure, we do not crack bones! :)
5. I’ve heard some chiropractors mention that I have a subluxation. What is a subluxation? Subluxation is the scientific term for misalignment. Thus, the spine, pelvis, arms, legs, ribs and skull sutures have the potential to be subluxated, as well as adjusted and corrected! This simply means you are in need of an adjustment.
6. How does Chiropractic benefit my health? Every person, whether in infancy, childhood, pregnancy, athlete, adult and geriatric can benefit from chiropractic care. Chiropractic benefits the health of all because we specialize in maintaining the flexibility, strength, and health of the spine and central nervous system through conservative and holistic means.
7. What is chiropractic good for? Chiropractic benefits everyone as mentioned above! Chiropractic realigns the core of your body - the skeletal system, allowing proper mechanical and physiological function and thus healing throughout the body. Countless scientific research studies and papers show that spinal manipulation, or chiropractic adjustments, is the best and least costly way to rehabilitate spinal injuries. Ranging from car accidents, falls, slipped discs, healed fractures, scoliosis and post-spinal surgeries. All of these physical difficulities and be helped and many times cured with chiropractic.
8. What are the risks? Chiropractic care, like all forms of health care, while offering considerable benefits may also provide some level of risk. This level of risk is minimal, yet in rare cases, injury has been associated with chiropractic care. The types of complications that have been reported secondary to chiropractic care include sprain/strain injuries, irritation of a disc condition, and rarely, fractures.
Some patients feel soreness for a day after the adjustment due to the spine and muscles reorganizing itself with the new alignment. Some media and healthcare practitioners who are not well informed of chiropractic care say that adjustments can cause a risk of stroke. We have many research articles on hand to disprove that theory, showing that chiropractic care, in fact, does not cause a stroke. (Insert link to stroke rebuttal by Dr. Dan Murphy, DC).
The Doctor will make every reasonable effort during the examination to screen for contraindications to care; however, if you have a condition that would otherwise not come to the Doctor’s attention, it is your responsibility to inform the Doctor.
9. How long does it take for chiropractic to work? Results to chiropractic care are usually immediate! The immediate results are especially noticeable in infants and children. Post adjustment most patients can feel the release of tension in the body, feel less irritation, have increased range of motion and strength, and an overall better sense of well-being.
10. Are Chiropractors real doctors? Yes! We are Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs). Dr. Stephen Sum and Dr. Marisa Sum both graduated from Life Chiropractic College West, a 4-year doctorate program in chiropractic healing arts and science.
11. How does the spine relate to my overall health? The spine, or vertebral column, is the very core of the body and is the home of the central nerve system exiting the brain - the spinal cord. The spinal cord is the electrical highway that connects brain signals to body signals and vice versa. The health of the spine equals the health of the central nerve system, brain and all organs and body parts connected - the whole you! The brain controls gut function, immune system function, hormonal function, pain, everything. Beyond pain management, chiropractic adjustments aid in organ recovery and function as well.
12. Are you a massage therapist? Can I have a massage? We are not massage therapists but we use massage and physiotherapy techniques to break up muscle adhesions, lactic acid and to aid in the chiropractic adjustment and your healing.
13. How long will I have to see a chiropractor? Chiropractic adjustments keep joints mobile and in the right position for optimal function. Like exercise, just one trip to the gym or on the trail is not enough to maintain the health of the body for the rest of your life.
Do you go to your dentist and optometrist all your life? Why not take care of your spine the same way! The Spine protects your central nervous system and brain. We are here for you through your life, health, and happiness.
14. Do you adjust children? How? Yes! Any being with a central nerve system and spine can receive chiropractic care! Some parents have their infants’ spines checked directly after birth to make sure they have the healthiest start to life as possible. Obviously, since infants and children's spines are still ossifying from cartilage, it takes a fraction of the effort to adjust and align the bones, but on that same note, it is that much more crucial that children develop having aligned spines since they are changing and growing so much.
We use our fingers or gentle tools to correct the alignment. Often the amount of force needed is the amount needed to make an indent on the couch with the tip of a finger.
15. Is chiropractic safe for pregnant women? Yes! Pregnant women greatly benefit from having their pelvis and lumbar spine aligned as their bodies transform and the baby grows. All of the internal organs and ligaments are connected to the skeletal structure within so having a balanced pelvis allows these internal parts to be at its most neutral and relaxed state - which is great for mommy and child! Many of our pregnant patients later report having a smoother, safer and more comfortable delivery too.
16. Is chiropractic safe for the elderly or people with osteoporosis? Yes! We utilize many low-force and gentle adjusting techniques, especially with people with osteoporosis or any other bone degenerative or developmental condition. We use high-amplitude/low force adjusting tools, SOT blocks, and drop pieces. Dr. Sum’s adjusting style is also known all around the Bay Area due to its gentle nature.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Call us today to find out which service best fits your needs.